Once upon a time, the rich merchant, who was coming back to his hometown with a wagon train after successful trading met a homeless wanderer, who was sitting by the fire.
Having noticed the merchant, the weary traveler welcomed him and invited to share with him his small daily meal.
The merchant burst out laughing, saying:
– What can you possibly offer me, Homeless?
– I can offer you the very same what the God offers all of us.
– You most probably speak of omnipotence? It seems to me that your mind, traveler, left you completely!
– I am speaking of the place under the sun.
The merchant started laughing even more.
– By the end of this day I will return to my rich house where a nourishing dinner, a charming wife and a soft bed are waiting for me. And what are you waiting for? I see that you are poor and worthless. Where will you go when the darkness of night comes for you? You have neither a home, nor a future, ragamuffin.
– I am so very rich, – humbly smiled the Homeless. – I have the whole world awaiting me, and no matter where I decide to direct my steps – I bear the whole world inside me. When I fall asleep under the open sky, stars descend from it and speak with me. When a thirst torments me, rain starts falling down from the heavens and with each of its drop I feel more lively. Animals of the night avoid me because they know that I won’t harm them even for the sake of entertainment.
– You must be totally out of your mind, – uttered the merchant, preparing to continue his journey. – I haven’t yet met with madmen of your kind. I will tell my relatives of this meeting and together we will laugh at your nonsense. Today before nightfall I will already manage to come back home – and where will you return at the end of your life’s journey?
The Homeless did not grant him an answer.